To avoid ineligible applications, please read all these notes before applying for a grant and downloading a grant form.
The Trust do not accept grant applications for projects where work has either commenced or been completed.
Within the expansive county of Yorkshire there are over 2,500 places of worship, by far the biggest number of churches in any English county.
Over 800 of these places of worship will have received at least one grant, and since our small beginnings over a quarter century ago, over £3,000,000 worth of grant has been distributed to your places of worship.
In the last 10 years, grants to individual churches have ranged in size from £250 up to £112,492.
The Yorkshire Historic Churches Trust awards grants for a whole spectrum of repairs across all denominations. The majority of grants awarded have been for fabric repairs. However, the preservation of individual artefacts like organs or monuments have also been key reasons for grants awarded.
As a result of the Trust’s support, Yorkshire churches are now in better condition than they were 25 years ago.
In order to be eligible, applicants must demonstrate a focus of mission and care for their building; any schemes should be prepared by a qualified architect/surveyor. In addition the Trust requires the following:
- The building must be in use as a place of worship and be accessible to the public.
- The building must not cease operating as a place of worship in the foreseeable future.
- The applicants must show a genuine shortfall in funding.
- The applicants must be actively fundraising and be able to confirm they anticipate being able to raise any financial shortfall. Categories for grant-aid generally include:
Important information: The following areas of work are ineligible:
- all work in connection with facilities for the disabled;
- all work in connection with heating or electrical installations (including up-grading)
- all new work in connection with improvements or re-ordering, including extensions
If you would like to apply for a grant, download the form below, or get in touch with Jonathan Stamp, the grants secretary on 07594 578665 if have you have any questions. Please download our grant guidance notes to aid you in filling out the forms. Thank you for your interest in the Trust.
Click here for a comprehensive list of other trusts and grant making bodies who award funding for church repairs and restoration.
The following map shows the pre 1974 boundaries of the county of Yorkshire. These are the geographical boundaries the Trust works within .Check here to see if your place of worship is eligible :
If the cost of booking a maintenance service is a financial problem, the National Churches Trust, with its partner the Pilgrim Trust, can offer micro grants of up to £500 towards the cost of a number of maintenance services and fabric repairs available to book through its MaintenanceBooker scheme. Further details available here.