The newly formed Mid-Yorkshire Group of YHCT is planning a walking tour of Leeds inner city churches on Saturday 17th May 2014. At each church there will be a talk by renowned local historians Alan Petford and Janet Douglas.
The tour will start at Leeds Minster at 10am (coffee from 9.30am). Designed by Chantrell the current building was consecrated in 1841, and at the time was the largest new church in England built since St Paul’s Cathedral. Florence Nightingale and Dr Edward Pusey were among the congregation and Dr Samuel Wesley played the organ. Formerly Leeds Parish Church it became a Minster in 2012.
Next, we make our way to Holy Trinity, Boar lane. This church was built in the fashionable west end of the city away from the industrial pollution between 1722-27 to the design of William Etty of York. Its three stage steeple is a dramatic feature viewed through the glass dome of the new Trinity Shopping Centre.
From there we will walk to St John the Evangelist, New Briggate. Built in 1632-34 St John’s is the oldest church in Leeds City centre. Entirely funded by John Harrison, it is now cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust. The church is especially rich in carvings in its wooden screen, wall panels, pews and pulpit.
Lunch will be provided at St George’s Crypt, a facility well known for its pioneering work with homeless people. It now provides a very popular catering service.
The next stop will be St Anne’s Roman Catholic Cathedral. The former St Anne’s RC Church became a Cathedral in 1878 when the Diocese of Leeds was created. This church was later scheduled for demolition for development and the present Cathedral, designed in the Arts and Crafts neo-Gothic style was built on a new site between 1901 and 1904.
Finally we will visit Mill Hill Unitarian Chapel. The first Chapel was built in City Square in 1674. Rev Joseph Priestly was minister there from 1767 to 1773. The present chapel was opened in 1847.
For more information and to book your place on the tour please complete the Booking Form and return it to the address shown.
Please note, a limited number of disabled parking spaces will be available at Leeds Minster, on street parking is available nearby and the nearest car park can be found at the West Yorkshire Playhouse. Leeds Minster is located right beside Leeds bus station and Mill Hill chapel is located in City Square opposite the train station.