On 18th April, twenty six friends and members of the Trust gathered in the church hall of St Wilfrid’s church in Harrogate following a Eucharist service in the church. Tea and coffee was served whilst we looked at the ‘Lamella’ roof structure designed by Leslie Moore in 1935.
We then went into the church to be greeted by Leonard Sandeman, the Director of Music, who gave us a very comprehensive talk on all aspects of the wonderful Temple Moore building.
The tour then progressed to All Saints church in Ripley where Mrs Elizabeth Blaydes, a NADFAS church recorder, described the various artefacts and their history in this 15th century church. Of particular interest was the history of the Ingleby family and their tombs.
We next adjourned to the Tiger Inn at Coneythorpe for an excellent two-course lunch served by Chantelle Neal, the manager, and her team.
Fully replete, we travelled a short distance to Allerton Mauleverer and the church of St Martin. Here we were met by Graham White from the Churches Conservation Trust that looks after this building. He gave us a very informed background of the church’s history and pointed out the painting of the ‘horned Moses’ and the stained glass by William Peckitt of York.
Our next port of call was St John the Baptist at Kirk Hammerton. Here, Revd Paul Spurgeon took us through the various stages of the development of this Saxon church and showed us the splendid wall paintings and the stained glass by Kempe.
Our tour finished at the Church of the Epiphany at Tockwith. Here we were offered tea and coffee along with a guided tour by Revd Roy Shaw of this beautiful church. This was a very pleasant way to end a truly interesting and informative day that was also blessed with lovely weather.
Roger Glister – YHCT North West group 18.5.15
Photographs by Jane Hedley